Learn about the changing trends around early stage investing at this upcoming event, presented by Vancouver Enterprise Forum (VEF).
When: September 22, 2015
Time: 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Location: The Imperial / 319 Main Street / Vancouver, BC
Angel investing has evolved significantly over the past decade; as has Vancouver’s startup ecosystem. In partnership with Vancouver Startup Week, join the VEF community to hear from a panel of experts on the changing trends around early stage investing, the internationalization of capital, what angels are now looking for and how to best engage with the angel community.
Boris Wertz, Version One Ventures will moderate the panel:
- Fraser Hall, Co-founder Recon Instruments, Bryght.com & Vancouver Founder Fund
- Jonathan Bixby, General Partner at Stanley Park Ventures
- Ethan Sun, President & Founder at Istuary Innovation Group
- Kim Kaplan, VP Revenue Optimization at Plenty of Fish Media
Contributing partner, the Vancouver Economic Commission (VEC) will be presenting ‘Start Up Alley.’
The Sumas Regional Consortium for High Tech (SRCTec) is hosting a variety of events in Mission and Abbotsford this fall. For their full event calendar, visit them online.
Open House at SRCTec – 7337 Welton Street in Mission
September 16, 2015 @ 3-5PM
Join us as we open our doors to each and everyone one of you! This event is for everyone in the valley to come by and see who we are and what we do. SRCTec has a variety of services and programs that may be of interest to you specifically, or someone in your network. This mixer is FREE to attend! Register online at www.srctec.org/events or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Agri-Tech Workshop at SRCTec – 7337 Welton Street in Mission
September 23, 2015 @ 12:30-5:00PM
Do you have the next big tech idea in agriculture? Join us along with our key speakers on accounting, marketing, funding and legal structure. Our workshop runs quarterly and is a benefit to those who are looking to start-up or brush up on their business skills in this industry. Register online at www.srctec.org/events or email email@example.com
First Annual Agri-Tech Trade Show + Mixer – Ramada Inn and Conference Centre in Abbotsford
October 21, 2015 @ 2:00PM – 5:00PM
Join us at our first annual Agri-Tech Trade Show + Mixer to see the newest ideas in Agri-Tech, listen to keynote speakers and network at our cocktail hour. This event is FREE for everyone to attend! Register online at www.srctec.org/events or email firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions.
- 2-3pm – EXPO OPEN
- 3-4pm – KEYNOTE SPEAKERS (TBA)
- 4-5pm – NETWORKING MIXER
As part of this year’s summer seminar series, Social Media and Media Training Strategies took place on July 27th with Elisha McCallum presenting.
For those who missed the presentation, a video and links to Elisha’s slides can be found after the jump.
The Canadian Innovation Exchange is looking for the nation’s Top 20 hottest innovative
companies! All technology companies across Canada are invited to enter. The CIX Top 20
is chosen based on excellence in innovation, growth potential, competitive advantage
and strength of business model. Does your company have what it takes?
Enter the CIX Top 20 program!
CEOs and Founders of selected CIX Top 20 companies will receive the opportunity to engage
over 600 investors and peers at the 2015 Canadian Innovation Exchange. Network with
potential partners and investors, receive mentorship, and grow your business with this
chance in being listed in the CIX Hall of Fame.
No fee to apply. Deadline for entries for the CIX Top 20 is Friday, September 25, 2015
Click here to apply
We are pleased to announce our new board of directors, for 2015-2016:
- Bob de Wit, CEO, Greater Vancouver Homebuilders Association
- Todd Farrell, President, entrepreneurship@UBC
- Blaize Horner Reich, Dean, SFU Beedie School of Business
- Steven Lukas, Partner, Fasken Martineau
- Richard Mockett, Partner, Ernst & Young Vancouver
- J. Brock Smith, Professor, Winspear Scholar, Peter B Gustavson School of Business, University of Victoria
- Wal van Lierop, President and CEO, Chrysalix Energy
- Michael Volker, President, Western Universities Technology Innovation Fund (WUTIF), & President, GreenAngel Energy Corp.
We would like to thank our outgoing directors for their time and dedication:
- Kip Morison, Chief Technology Officer, BC Hydro
- Richard Sawchuk, Director, Ministry of International Trade
- Daniel Shapiro, Professor, SFU Beedie School of Business
New Ventures BC is looking for a new Program Coordinator
Start date: August 17, 2015
Hours: 32 hours/week
Contract: One year, renewable (subject to funding)
- Manage all communications materials, including but not limited to:
- All NVBC social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc)
- The NVBC Blog and Website
- The NVBC bi-weekly Newsletter
- Help plan and execute program-related events, mentor sessions, intake panels, and other special projects.
- Manage numerous NVBC programs, and partner programs.
- Market our program to potential clients and customers.
- Attend community events to help promote and showcase NVBC within the BC tech community.
- Assist NVBC Program Manager Angie Schick with administrative tasks and projects.
- Junior/Intermediate position with opportunity for experience and growth
- Friendly, outgoing, and comfortable being the “face of NVBC” at community events.
- Very social media proficient (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, Slack, etc)
- Proficient with MS Office Suite. Mac and PC. Can troubleshoot most tech.
- Experience with event organization.
- Minimum one year work experience
- Extremely organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects at any given time.
- Project driven. Flexible schedule, but not afraid to work more than 9-5 when necessary to meet deadlines.
- Have an existing knowledge of the Vancouver Startup scene.
- Self-directed, with excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Creative and innovative, always looking to move NVBC forward.
Please send your CV, cover letter, and expected hourly salary expectations to email@example.com, no later than July 23rd, at 5pm.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Feel free to share this job posting with your community!
Submission for the 2015 Brand Prize opens on July 6. Sign up to stay tuned. See the 2014 Brand Prize winner.
Skyrocket is giving you the opportunity to win a visual identity and branding system.
What’s the process? Answer four simple questions on the Brand Prize website and you’re in. The contest is open for submissions until August 20th.
Find out more here
When: Jul 14th – Aug 6th, Every Tues/Thurs @ 6pm – 9pm
Where: Launch Academy — #300-128 W Hastings St Vancouver BC
Tuition: $1000 (Early bird) and $1250 (Regular) + taxes
Description: The Lean Entrepreneur Program provides first-time entrepreneurs and career-changers with the best practices for building a lean startup. This program focuses on what’s essential to you in your first six months of your startup journey, covering topics from validating an idea to acquiring your first customer. For more info on how to apply, including financing options, click here.