Why enter the New Ventures BC Competition?
Get the essentials. Learn entrepreneurial building blocks from top-notch speakers at complimentary seminars and workshops.
Get advice. If you make it to the top 25, you'll get a mentorship team, plus pitch practice and feedback.
Get connected. Join events with fellow startups, plus mentors and potential investors.
Know what you don't know. Provide your business plan + pitch for a jury of experts to receive constructive feedback.
Be noticed. Making it to the Top 25 means you're a venture to watch.
Did we say prizes? We're giving away over $250,000 in cash and in-kind services to take your startup to the next level.
$250,000 in cash and prizes
Each year, we give away prize packages to our top three finalists, plus sector-specific industry prizes. They’re all announced and awarded live at the Awards Ceremony.
The full 2021 prize list will be announced in April.
- $80,000 cash from Innovate BC plus complimentary access to the Innovate BC Venture Acceleration Program for one year, valued at $2,400
- $6,000 in-kind services from EY
- $9,000 in-kind services from Fasken
- $10,000 in-kind video services from pushr video
- PR Prize pack from Switchboard PR
- $6,750 in-kind services from NVBC’s silver & bronze sponsors
Awarded to a for-profit venture, placing in the Top 10 or Top 25. The venture must aim to create a strong social or environmental impact that creates shared value to the local community and society at large, in addition to economic profits.
Awarded to the most promising startup placing in the Top 10 or Top 25, that is positioned to make a significant regional impact. The venture must located outside of the Greater Vancouver Regional District.
Awarded to the most-promising venture with a woman CEO or Co-Founder in the Top 10 or Top 25. Preference will be given to CEOs, then to Co-Founders who hold 20% or greater ownership. This prize is open to anyone who self-identifies as a woman.
- BC residents, teams or businesses
- Innovative technology product or services
- Any type of tech
- Raised less than $1,000,000 of non-grant funding from any source
- Less than 5 years old
- Incorporation not required
- Pay $200 entry fee
Have what it takes to compete for over $250,000 in cash and prizes? 6 months, 4 rounds of competition. 200+ competitors, 1 grand prize winner.
Round 1 deadline
April 12, 10 pm
Submit your registration and describe your business idea. All eligible participants move on to Round 2.
Round 2 deadline
May 6, 7pm
Submit a 5-page response to questions about your business idea.
- 25 companies move on to Round 3
- 15 additional companies will pitch their way into Round 3.
25 companies pitch to get into round 3.
Round 3 deadline
Condensed Venture Plan
Companies will be paired with a mentor team to expand their idea into an 8 page condensed venture plan.
Round 4 pitches
Sep 9 & 10
Top 10 pitches finale
Top 10 finalists make an in-person pitch to the jury for a chance to win $250,000 in cash in prizes.