Thank you for a successful program
$3.4M in wage subsidies disbursed
Over the past three years, the Innovator Skills Initiative Grant Program has helped to provide 897 student job placements across BC, awarding $3.4M in wage subsidies to startups.
This program has helped students to gain critical skills, training and job experience, all while helping companies in BC advance in their businesses.
Some fast stats
Over half of the students placed were hired on permanently:
- 57% of students were hired on after their placement
- Of those students not hired, 93% of companies intended to hire if a suitable position became available
- 21% of all grants were placed outside of the Lower Mainland
Program satisfaction of 96-97%
- 97% Company satisfaction for the program (rating 7/10+)
- 96% Student satisfaction for the program (rating 7/10+)
Student skill development
Almost all students acquired new skills through the program
- 97% of student participants acquired entrepreneurial skills
- 99% of student participants acquired industry skills
- 98% of student participants felt they would receive future job opportunities due to the grant
- 60% of student participants indicated that they’d like to start their own company in the future
- 95% of student participants plan to stay in BC, post graduation
Thank you to Innovate BC and the Province of BC for funding the Innovate BC Innovator Skills Initiative Program.
“Hiring an employee is a major risk for a startup. Not only because of the monetary reasons but also because of the risks involved in finding a match for the position. This program allowed us to hire a student for a few months to evaluate the fit before committing to longer-term employment.”
— Amir Entezari, Umbracity
“Other than the financial help, we all appreciate programs like this, because we can take risks in hiring. We get a lot of fresh perspectives—students give us a chance to see things differently.”
— Andry Tanusdjaja, Musefind
This program was very helpful in allowing us to finish the MVP version of a SAAS product that we have been building. We are now feature complete and are starting our beta program. We would have hired Andrew full time but he has gone back to school.
— Jay Pozo, Mega Build Lab Ltd
The grant makes a huge difference. Although we have scaled quickly, we are still a 20-person company that needs a lot of horsepower to obtain the results we want. This grant, and the work that the student has done, has not only helped us achieve those results but exceed them.
— Vivian Chan, Eyexpo
The summer intern we hired was instrumental in managing a project submission for the Canadian Digital Technology Supercluster that has subsequently been approved for funding. She managed a large consortium of partners in the process – it’s amazing how much a great student can contribute to your company if you give them the opportunity.
— Rob Attwell, Careteam Technologies Inc