Here you can find the recordings and presentation slides from the 2020 New Ventures BC Competition Webinars that have happened so far.
Entrepreneur, mentor and angel investor, Ralph Turfus lead our first educational webinar of 2020 New Ventures BC Competition! We explored the positioning statement and covered the following questions:
- What is your go to market strategy?
- What is your market opportunity?
- Who are you as an entrepreneur?
This webinar will help bring clarity to your venture and help you get set up for success!
Thank you to everyone who joined us online for our day packed with startup essentials.
- 9:25: Welcome from NVBC
- 9:30 – 10:45: Product/Market Fit with Dave Thomas, Rocket Builders – Slides
- 10:45 – 11:00am: Break
- 11:00 -12:30pm: Introduction to Business Models and Pricing with Karen Chiang and Jessie Tai, Ibbaka – Slides
- 12:30 – 1:15pm: Break – Get up to $10,000 to #hireaBCstudent
- 1:15 – 2:15pm: Sales Fundamentals with Shannon Ward, OnTrack Media – Slides
- 2:15 – 2:30pm: Break
- 2:30 – 3:15pm: Financial Models with Sean Hodgins, Tandem Innovation Group – Slides
- 3:15- 3:30pm: Break
- 3:30 – 5:00pm: The Business Case: What an Angel Really Wants with Mike Volker – Slides
Trade-marks and patents can be daunting for the first-time entrepreneur. Do you need to go through registration? In what jurisdictions and when? What are the rules around the elements of intellectual property in Canada and beyond? This presentation will give you the basics that you need to better investigate your options. The webinar was led by lawyers Roger Kuypers and Ling Wong of Fasken.
Thank you to the 160 BC tech companies who joined us online for our Startup Sprint Day 2!
- 9:15am Participants can login to webinar
- 9:25am Opening Remarks from New Ventures BC
- 9:30 – 10:30am Exit Strategy with Grant Lawrence, Vahalla Angels – Slides
- 10:30 – 10:45am Break
- 10:45 – 12:00pm HR 101 for Start-ups with Allison Guld and Stephanie Lyster, AnswerBar – Slides
- 12:00 – 12:30pm Break
- 12:30 – 1:30 Capital Planning with Keith Ippel, Spring Activator
- 1:30 – 1:45pm Break
- 1:45 – 2:45pm Family and Friends, Angels and Institutional VC’s: understanding the pros and cons of different investor groups with Jay Crone, TELUS Ventures – Slides
- 2:45 – 3:00pm Break
- 3:00 – 4:00pm Breaking Down Your Money Model with Chris Stairs, Volition and CanadaStartup.com – Slides
- 4:00 – 4:15pm Break
- 4:15 – 5:15pm Valuation & Getting Ready for Investor Due Diligence with Amyn Somani, Volition and Angeleca Capital Group – Slides
Topics covered include:
- Initial corporate structuring issues
- Allocating founders shares
- Preparing a financing plan
- Sourcing seed capital
- Allocating stock options
- Financing a new venture
Launching a website is only the first step in succeeding online, join Julianna Horvat and Karthik Balachander, Marketing Managers at Webnames.ca to learn how to attract more traffic to your website.
During this presentation tailored for beginners, you will learn:
- Different sources of traffic to your website & how to optimize for relevance
- How to increase traffic from Search, Social and Referral
- How to monitor and analyze traffic to your website
We were joined by Volition Advisors for their Pitch and Presentation Masterclass webinar.
This Masterclass brought together the science of storytelling with Volition’s proven investor pitch building methodology. We will move beyond the ‘must-haves’ to explore proven tactics to take your pitch from mediocre to memorable.
We covered :
- How to design and deliver a compelling and persuasive pitch narrative
- Our ‘Begin With Why’ pitch building methodology
- The top mistakes we’ve seen from watching 1000+ pitches.
The tactics and activities we worked through have been designed from Volition’s team knowledge and expertise working with startups and investors from across the globe, combined with the science of storytelling and art of delivery.