After five months of competition, we’re down to 10 finalists in the annual New Ventures BC technology business idea competition with $300,000 in prizes to be awarded September 24th. Prizes include the British Columbia Innovation Council first, second and third prize packages worth a total $220,000, plus the BC Hydro $40,000 sustainability prize, the $20,000 BC Bioenergy Network prize and the British Columbia Innovation Council $20,000 Economic Impact prize.
Chosen from among 30 round-three competitors, the 10 finalists include businesses in the health, sustainability and high technology sectors.
The 2009 New Ventures BC Finalists in no particular order are:
- Bluekey Energy Inc., Prince George
- Etalim, Burnaby
- G.R. Green Building Products Inc., Burnaby
- Indel Therapeutics Inc., Vancouver
- LightIntegra Technolology Inc., Vancouver
- Lungpacer Medical Inc., Anmore
- Mobify, Vancouver
- Rapid Electric Vehicles, Vancouver
- Veridae Systems, Vancouver
- Vineyard Networks, Kelowna
To win, finalists must now convince a jury of venture capitalists, financiers and angel investors that their business idea is commercially viable and that they can execute it in the marketplace. Six winners will be announced September 24 at a gala reception in Vancouver.
Over the next three weeks, we’ll be having closer look at the 10 finalists with individual profile posts here on the NVBC blog.